I am an accredited Executive Coach and Mentor. I have held CEO and senior leadership roles in the public and private sectors in New Zealand and Australia for 25 years. These include P&L responsibility for budgets from $10 million to $120 million with 12 to 190 staff.
I am known for significant institution building projects in New Zealand and Australia, demonstrating creative leadership, management, strategy, financial stewardship and communication skills in a variety of organisational contexts.
My strengths include creating operating models that take advantage of new technologies and address changing consumption patterns in the digital environment to ensure both cost efficacy and positive customer journeys. My extensive sales, marketing and representation experience includes international markets in Europe, USA and Asia.
Strategic Vision and Leadership
I specialise in creating long-term vision in organisations and setting in place the policies and steps required to move an organisation systematically towards that vision. I have extensive public sector leadership experience.
I am fluent in a variety of leadership styles to suit the context and am accredited as an Executive Coach.
Transformational Change and Institution Building
Three of my executive roles have presented me with the opportunity to lead transformational change processes. I have also successfully created new divisions in two large organisations. I am a very effective leader of innovation and change, building institutions that are outcome-focused and place high value on integrity, accountability, transparency and efficiency.
I am very experienced in high-level setting of budgets, review of performance and trends.
I drive financial results by taking a strategic approach and diving into the detail when required. I achieve outstanding performance in constrained financial environments. I have extensive deal-making experience.
Communications and Relationships Management
My oral and written communication skills are highly developed, as is my public speaking. A key strength is in managing a wide range of stakeholder relationships – consumers, public, local and central government, ministers, suppliers, sector leaders, media, staff and numerous boards and board chairs.
I am well networked in New Zealand and Australia, with extensive international representation experience. My sales and marketing experience in the US, UK, Europe as well as experience in major Asian markets has given me broad insights into those regions.
Consumer Behaviour and Analysis
I have highly developed expertise in changing patterns of consumer behaviour developed from working in a commercial television network, leading a national media buying shop and commissioning extensive audience research in my various executive roles. I enjoy data analysis and am particularly interested in the changing consumer dynamics in the digital media landscape.
For 25 years I have served as a board member or reported directly to boards. I graduated from Board Directors Courses in New Zealand and Australia as well as led and monitored governance processes in highly accountable environments.
2013-2016 Consultancy, Governance and Executive Coaching
- Consultancies for Ministry of Culture and Heritage (PIF review: Expert Advisor), NZ Film Commission and Film New Zealand.
- Fellow of the Australian Institute of Company Directors available for board roles in New Zealand and Australia.
- Accredited Executive Coach for clients in New Zealand and Australia in the public and private sectors.
2008-2013 Chief Executive Officer Screen Australia ($120m)
- Successfully merged three legacy institutions and created world leading screen agency.
- Organisational redesign and development. Staff numbers reduced from 190 to 110 and administration costs reduced by 40%. Recognised and respected brand established nationally and internationally.
- Indigenous program output recognised as world leader.
- Feature film performance improvement. Key indicator of Australian Box Office increased by an average of 64% over the 5-year period.
- Enterprise program recognised by production community and commentators as highly effective industry game changer.
- Production funds allocation shifted from 95% film and television to 70% film and television and 30% interactive and games funding.
1997-2008 Chief Executive Officer: New Zealand Film Commission ($30m)
- Set new strategic direction.
- Restructured the organisation to meet requirements of the post 1989 public sector reforms and recruited internationally recognised specialist staff.
- Feature film performance improvement. Key indicator of Box Office increased <1% to +5%
- Advocated for and ran NZ Film Production Fund Trust with initial budget of $21m. Invested $30m in 10 films including Whale Rider and the World’s Fastest Indian leveraging over $115m by way of production.
- Used leverage from film fund investment to parlay NZ Film Sales Agency into successful international player in sales and film financing.
1995-1996 National Media Director Saatchi & Saatchi ($100m)
Saatchi and Saatchi was New Zealand’s leading advertising agency at that time. I led 35 media staff responsible for $100 million dollar spend and successfully integrated 3 regional offices into a national service, simultaneously meeting the needs of the divisional managers. I positioned Saatchi and Saatchi as leading commentators on the use of the Internet and other interactive media as advertising vehicles and achieved status as a leading industry commentator on new media.
1989-1995 Executive Director, NZ On Air ($90m)
NZ On Air collected approximately $90 million gross from the Broadcasting Fee per year. We funded over 1000 hours of TV programming and over 30 radio stations (including National Radio, Maori Radio, Student Radio), New Zealand music, archives, teletext subtitling for deaf people and transmission coverage in remote places.
I set up NZ On Air and led it for six years:
- developed & implemented the strategic vision.
- established the organisation and its processes.
- developed and managed the brand, NZ On Air.
- drove highly cost efficient administration.
- instigated the still-running NZ Soap “Shortland Street” which changed the television drama landscape in New Zealand.
Recognised as having been “visionary, proactive and determined in driving the case for more NZ content”.
1986-1989 Commissioning Editor, Television New Zealand ($10m-$20m)
- I set up this new function for TVNZ whereby commercial production was sourced from the independent production sector.
- I successfully negotiated a leading role for this new function with the TVNZ in-house production teams and the independent production sector.
- It was so successful that within 5 years independent production provided the majority of content for TVNZ (excluding sports, news and current affairs).
2009-2011 Board member: Ausfilm
2008-2008 Chair: Fulbright New Zealand )relocated to Sydney)
1995-2008 Board member Fulbright Eduction Foundation
2005-2006 Deputy Chair and member: Audit Committee
2005-2006 Board member: International Film and Television Alliance
2004-2008 Trustee: Film New Zealand
2000-2008 Trustee: NZ Film and Production Trust
1997-2003 Director: Wellington Waterfront Limited
1997-1999 Member: Ministerial Information Technology Advisory Group (ITAG)
1995-2008 Trustee NZ Players Theatre Trust Board
1994-2008 Trustee: Len Lye Foundation
1992-1994 Member: Advisory Board Victoria University Graduate School of Management
My contributions to the various boards I have served include providing strategic insight and thought leadership, driving financial performance, enabling community consultation, leading fundraising and development campaigns and focusing on consumer behaviour. My governance roles have enabled me to develop expertise in a range of sectors: Higher education; film and television; property and public space development; IT and the arts. In my various roles with Fulbright New Zealand I was a member of the Audit and Finance Committee as well as becoming Deputy Chair and then Chair, before relocating to Sydney. I participated in recruiting and mentoring the Chief Executive Officer. In my 20 years as a Chief Executive Officer I have worked closely with a variety of Boards and Chairs. This has enabled me to build a very strong understanding of diverse range of governance processes and practices.
Professional Development & Education
2014 Institute of Executive Coaching and Leadership Level 3
2013 Australian Institute of Company Directors Graduate
2013 Institute of Executive Coaching and Leadership Levels 1, 2
2008 Institute of Strategic Leadership Program for Chief Executives (ANZ)
2001 Public Sector Leaders’ Summit (ANZ)
1994 Ernst and Young Darden Executive Program (NZ)
1980 Doctor of Philosophy, University of Auckland 1976-1980
1976-79 U.G.C. Post-Graduate Scholarship
1975 Master of Arts in Literature (First Class Honours), University of Auckland
1969-71 Bachelor of Arts, University of Canterbury (English major)
2014 International Coach Federation
2013 Australian Institute of Company Directors
2013 New Zealand Institute of Directors
2013 Australia/ New Zealand Leadership Forum
2013 Institute of Executive Coaching and Leadership
2012 Chief Executive Women (Australia)
2009 Global Women (New Zealand)
2014 World Class New Zealander
2006 Companion of the New Zealand Order of Merit (CNZM): Services to film (CBE equivalent)
2002 Distinguished Alumnus Auckland University
1996 OBE: Services to Broadcasting and the Arts
1993 New Zealand Suffrage Centennial Medal
1990 Commemorative Medal
1985 Fulbright Scholarship
Family and friends, contemporary art, reading, live music, film and television, travel, hiking, fishing, boating, yoga, bird-watching, gardening, swimming and skiing.